Welcome

This blog is about sports cards. I tend to only purchase cheap items so don't come hear expecting to see big money cards. My teams collections are Chicago White Sox and Michigan Wolverines. I also have a bunch of player collections.

Sunday, January 6, 2019

2018 in review

I don't really make resolutions so we'll just do a sports review for the past year.

What did I watch you ask, let's check it out.


I'd say I'm pretty consistent the last couple of year. The basketball dropped between 2015 and 2016 because I pretty much stopped watching NBA, just can't really get into it. Same for football between 2016 and 2017. I don't make a huge effort to watch the Colts much, not that I'm still not a fan, I just can't get into the games like I do college. There's just not really that much enjoyment in watching them. I have watched the last couple of games though, but mainly because I wasn't really watching anything else.

If you haven't been here before, I have my collection in Tier's. The top tiers being my favorite player collections. Tier 2 are pretty much other White Sox and Michigan players that I collect. Tier 3 are players I liked back as a kid when I was collecting and Ryan Zimmerman just because he didn't really fit into Tier 2.


As you can tell, 2018 wasn't a very productive year for my Tier 1 collections. That's mainly because I only put a $.25 max bid on cards so I just don't win very many of their cards. Doesn't help that 3 of them are Hall of Famers.


In my Tier 2 section, I've gotten a bunch of Barry Larkin's, I pick them up pretty regularly on Ebay but I have a feeling, the majority of those came from Dennis. Other than Chris Sale, all those up their with double digit adds in 2018 are former Wolverine stars.


Same goes with my Tier 3 collections, I pick up a lot of Ripken's via Ebay but I've also received a bunch from Dennis as we share those collections. I'm surprised at the 0 on Steve Carlton's though, I've bid on a bunch, apparently I'm just not winning them.


I didn't take much time to bid on cards for the Vintage collection this year like I had in the past. Maybe that's something I can work on for next year. It's just time consuming because I have to search through each set from 1952-1987. Then when I get to the upper years, mainly the 80's, I also have to check to see what I do and don't have. I also upped my max bid to $.50 on Michigan collection cards so between that and Dennis, the Michigan collection went up as well.

Here's my funds spent per month.

January - $14.69 (21 cards, 7 hits)
February - $16.35 (15 cards, 6 hits)
March - $20.09 (26 cards, 7 hits)
April - $16.71 (109 cards, 9 hits)
May - $54.06 (51 cards, 14 hits)
June - $37.32 (48 cards, 12 hits)
July - $40.33 (65 cards, 19 hits)
August - $62.14 (801 cards, 17 hits)
September - $61.63 (102 cards, 24 hits)
October - $32.73 (68 cards, 15 hits)
November - $14.79 (21 cards, 6 hits)
December - $27.57 (115 cards, 13 hits)

Hits are defined as autos or relics.

That was way more than I expected but ever since I started searching for player collection autos and relics, I've picked up a bunch. My max bid is $3 on player collection cards, team cards just depends on who it is and how much I want to spend. In August, you can see the 801 cards, I picked up a huge box of 80's stuff, mostly Fleer, at a card shop. Those also includes cards I've received from Dennis as he sent me a couple of packages throughout the year.


As far as my posting goes, I've slacked off this past year. The first time I didn't hit 100 since I started this blog. There were 3 total months where I didn't post anything which would have probably made up the 30 I was short from 100. Even with that, I was 50 posts off my lowest year to date so I was really a slacker this year.

That's it for 2018, we'll see what goes down this year. I know for one, I have started putting my card in on the Trading Card Database. I haven't even gotten through my Tier 1 collections as I just started it a few days ago but I've been working on it. Once I get my player collections done, it should go quickly with everything else because I'll be able to do them in bulk. My name is MySportsObsession

3 comments:

  1. I could never keep track of these kinds of things pertaining to myself, but I sure do like seeing other people's numbers. After seeing yours, I think I might try and keep track of my purchases this year... maybe I could handle that one?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seriously envious of your budgeting skills. Love how you documented your spending down to the penny. That's pure awesomeness!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It helps when I don't get much each day. When I got the boxes of 80's stuff, it took forever to log everything in after I figured out what I needed. The way some people purchase cards, I wouldn't be able to do it so easily.

    ReplyDelete

Sorry about the word verification, but blogger sucks at filtering out the comments as of late. As bad as their last update is.