Welcome

This blog is about sports cards. I tend to only purchase cheap items so don't come hear expecting to see big money cards. My teams collections are Chicago White Sox and Michigan Wolverines. I also have a bunch of player collections.

Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Dennis week–Wednesday

Dennis week – Monday (Jim Abbotts), Tuesday (Barry Larkins), Wednesday – Vintage collection, Thursday – White Sox collection, Friday – (Grand Finale on TMM of Michigan cards)

As previously mentioned, Dennis of Too Many Verlanders hooked me up with a awesome package of cards a few weeks ago.  We’ve seen the 2 player collection that he sent cards for, and being the gracious guy that he is, he actually hit all my collections so today we are going to check out the Vintage collection cards.

As always with a vintage collection post, we will start with the newer cards and work our way down.

dennis-vintage1985-01

Checklist – 1985 Donruss

I know, nothing too exciting but do you know why I like receiving these cards from fellow bloggers, because then I don’t have to pay cash for them down the road when I’m close to completing them.  Which is a ways away since this is only my 14th card but technically, it’s not part of the set but for future references, I will be collecting checklists with the sets so I still needed it.

dennis-vintage1983-01

Bill Madlock (diamond king) and Rollie Fingers – 1983 Donruss

I’m not sure how Dennis came about with these cards because as far as I know, they don’t fit into any of his collections but I’m not complaining.  These are my 11th and 12th card of the 1983 Donruss set.  A long ways to go but some damn good players to knock off the checklist.

dennis-vintage1982-01

John Wathan – 1982 Donruss

My 30th card of the 1982 Donruss set, a pretty decent catcher in his day.  9 years playing with Kansas City before hanging it up and doing what a lot of catchers do and start managing.

dennis-vintage1981-01

Rick Dempsey and Scott McGregor – 1981 Donruss

I’m sorry but I love this set, so many memories of these cards.  I want to say that the Donruss were the hardest to come by in my area in 1981 so it was pretty awesome when we ran across them.  A couple from the Baltimore Orioles battery.  Dempsey was a very durable player in a not so durable position with 24 years in the league.  He was a 2 time World Series champion and even pulled the MVP award of the series in 1983.  McGregor is a former all-star and World Series Champion as well.  They are my 25th and 26th cards of the set.

Maybe Dennis bought a box of assorted Donruss now that this post is up and I realized they all were the same company.  Who knows?  Who cares?  All I know is Dennis sent me an awesome package and I’m having a blast leading up to Friday’s post (you do not want to miss those cards).  Come back here tomorrow for the cards that will fill spots in my White Sox team sets.

1 comment:

  1. I don't think I exactly intentionally sent all Donruss, but that's what I sent anyway, probably because I have a smaller amount of 80s Topps left, plus you're more likely to already have a lot from those sets. I also don't remember where most of those came from over my years of collecting, but the Wathan came as a freebie from a Sportlots drawing back when you could use points to get in on pack breaks.

    ReplyDelete

Sorry about the word verification, but blogger sucks at filtering out the comments as of late. As bad as their last update is.