Welcome

This blog is about sports cards. I tend to only purchase cheap items so don't come hear expecting to see big money cards. My teams collections are Chicago White Sox and Michigan Wolverines. I also have a bunch of player collections.

Friday, September 15, 2023

LCS finds

If you've been around here, you know that my cousin and I do a little side work for my LCS. He buys all kinds of stuff that walks in the door and we help him sort it all. When we first started going in the shop, he had boxes all over. Under all his tables and piled in the corners. Now his shop looks pretty clean as far as the floor goes and he has told a bunch of people how much help we've been. He shows us that by giving us cards and great deals on the more expensive stuff. As an example, he had dupe Cronenworth autos and he gave them both to me for the price of 1 which I sent the other to Dennis.

I stopped by yesterday after work to drop off what I sorted last weekend and picked up some new stuff. He didn't give me a ton to do this weekend since I have 2 shows so today is the only day I would have to work on them. He has a few people who buys blasters, hangers and such who pull out one or two cards that they collect and they sell everything else back to him. So this morning, I went through 10 opened hanger boxes of 2022 Donruss. He lets me pull whatever I need for my collections, he knows if I find any high dollar (which I never do with the stuff I'm sorting) to let him know, other than that, he knows I have limited collections and that's all I take so he let's me take them.

I've sorted 2022 Donruss for him before so I had most everything as far as the base that I needed but while I was standing there talking to him, there was a stack of mini's sitting on his desk and I flipped through those and found a few for myself as well. Here's what I added to my PC's.

This was a nice find and it was actually on top of the stack of mini's which is the only reason I went through them because I hate mini's but I need them so what better way then free ones.

I don't add too many Konerko's often anymore since I have quite a few and he doesn't get a whole lot of hobby love anymore (not that he ever did) but he's my favorite Sox player of all-time so I grabbed it. It's actually the A&G back so I still need the regular mini. Plus I have to keep my hefty lead on TCDB.

I also found this regular back mini of Cal. I was hoping to find another one for Dennis but no such luck. I didn't even look to see if he needed it but it was free so I would have been able to take a chance.

Sadly, even though I'm slowly closing in on 1000 cards of Cal, I'm only ranked #46 on TCDB.

Another tier 3 PC guy with the black border version. I was glad to pull so many mini's of HOF'ers, you can't really complain about that.

Another Tier 1 guy that I don't add a ton to his collection. I found a black border mini on his desk and found an Orange Holo in the Donruss hangers I went through. 

At one time, I was #1 on TCDB. I got an email from a guy saying how he figured he'd be #1 after he entered his and I ended up having a couple hundred more. He sent me a 1970 Topps Super and I sent him 20 or so cards he didn't have. A few months later I looked and he had blown past me. I've dropped another spot since then.



Also found this Orange holo of the former Wolverine, Jake Cronenworth. I love that there is a good Michigan guy in the bigs to collect again. Apparently Dennis does as well.


I'm thinking I'm going to start doing my posts like this again, just a pick-up of that day kind of thing so it's less posts and more cards posted at a time. I'll still have some random posts until I'm caught up and then go to strictly these kinds of posts and the birthday posts. I like the random posts but even with doing a few players on each posts, I get behind rather quickly. Probably because I have so many PC players with all the Michigan guys.

1 comment:

  1. It seems like a pretty good relationship that you've got going. I'm not that interested in newer stuff, but even so I'd probably still do something like this if presented the opportunity.

    ReplyDelete

Sorry about the word verification, but blogger sucks at filtering out the comments as of late. As bad as their last update is.