Welcome

This blog is about sports cards. I tend to only purchase cheap items so don't come hear expecting to see big money cards. My teams collections are Chicago White Sox and Michigan Wolverines. I also have a bunch of player collections.

Saturday, September 16, 2023

Lotta Tier 3

We set up in Kalamazoo today and received a couple of visitors. Dennis of Too Many Verlanders and John of John's Big League Baseball Blog came in to visit us. Dennis saved some postage and brought me some cards which you will probably not see until next weekend since we are setting up at another show tomorrow so I won't have time until next weekend to get them logged and scanned. Kevin also gave me some cards to get through so I have plenty to do on my next day off.


John even got his wife to snap a pic of us.

It was a decent show, it was our first time there so we didn't have many expectations which is how we take any first time shows.

Today's post will be of the random variety and tier 3 came up.




I mentioned the quarter boxes that I hit in Michigan City, these 23 cards of the Kid are a product of that, lots of oddball stuff up there which was why I decided to go through it all.


I also picked this one up from my LCS while sorting. The new Donruss set has a bunch of my retired Tier 3 PC's, including this one.



More quarter box finds from Michigan City. These 10 of another HOF'er. You even get an 1981 Fleer card for the Vintage set (only need 19 more) and one White Sox card for that team collection. The Giants card is only my 3rd of the lefty in those team colors.



11 Ripken's from the aforementioned quarter box. Lots of those oddball create your own sets from the late 80's, early 90's. The good old days when unlicensed still had logos.


These 3 came from a sort of list players from my LCS, all HOF'ers are on the list of players to pull so I usually get some tier 3 cards. These 3 all came from the box I did the first weekend of the month. That bottom card is another one of those unlicensed make your own sets. You can also see Frank Thomas on it as well so that one goes towards the White Sox collection as well.


Last but not least, this relic of Cal was in that half off box at my LCS which I ended up getting for free for sorting for them. I'm pretty sure it's my first relic of his. 13 of these 15 cards put me at 950 cards of Ripken which is my highest count of PC players. I do have one non-player collection who has more.







37 cards from the quarter boxes, you can see how I spent $42 at the quarter boxes.


These 2 I picked up in the sorting of list players. I found a number of those 2022 A&G's that I needed. 


This was the only quarter box card of Bench that I found in Michigan city.


These 2 were from the sorting of the list players. You see another 2022 A&G. I would have guessed I already had the 1987 look-a-like but I apparently didn't.


This was another card from the half off box. I knew my LCS was going to give me a good deal so I went ahead and through this is my stack even though it's a manufactured relic. I didn't think I'd get it free but that's even better.


These 2 chrome cards came from some sorting that Kevin was doing. I like them both as one is a vintage look-a-like and the other is a Stadium Club so there's a good chance it's a photograph you haven't seen before.


I actually paid for these 2 and no, they aren't reprints. I made it all the way through the Plymouth card show without looking at any cards and was thinking I was going to get out without spending anything. Josh, the show promoter, asked me if I saw the vintage I had on his table because he knows that I love it. Now I feel obligated so I go over there and end up spending $40. Not on just these 2, you'll see another one in this post and a bunch on my next vintage post.


These 5 were also quarter box finds from Michigan City. You can see I found a ton of cards for my PC's. These aren't all, I also found quite a few on a couple other PC's that you'll see later and some Sox cards.


I told you I picked up some of the 2023 Donruss in the sorting, this is another one. 


These both came from the other list sort. That is a 1980 Topps but that isn't a 1975 Topps. It's a 60 Years of Topps Original back.


This is a 1972 Topps (it's kind of sad that you even have to point it out with the millions of reprints out there). This was another card that was on the show promoter's table. You'll see the other 4 vintage on the vintage post and I also picked up a Sox auto of the next Sox post.

I know that's a lot of cards for 1 post but I figured I'd throw up all my hall of fame tier 3 collections. I'll have another tier 3 post but it'll be the non hall of famers.

1 comment:

  1. Dennis looks like he's in the land of the giants. He's need someone like myself in there to help balance the scales (so to speak). Lots of neat things here today. I really like all of the old Broder sets, and your two vintage Bench's are really great too. The condition of them is really impressive.

    ReplyDelete

Sorry about the word verification, but blogger sucks at filtering out the comments as of late. As bad as their last update is.