Welcome

This blog is about sports cards. I tend to only purchase cheap items so don't come hear expecting to see big money cards. My teams collections are Chicago White Sox and Michigan Wolverines. I also have a bunch of player collections.

Thursday, February 28, 2013

Vacation pick-up, the prequel

I don’t remember if I mentioned it on this blog or not, but a couple of weekends ago I was in Bristol, VA to visit the inlaws.  Since I wasn’t home, where there are no card shops, I decided to Google if there were any there and I found one.  So on Friday, I hit that shop and spent about an hour in there and picked up a few things.  I got a box of pages for my stepdad who showed me his cards recently and he had the old pages that stick together so I told him he needed to replace those.  I went through a box of relics that were 4/$10 and I found 4 of those.  Then as I was walking around the store, I ran across these

cards

That’s 5 1987 Topps rack packs and 1 1987 Donruss.  They were 6/$5 and I decided what the hell and picked these up for the vintage collection.  I didn’t get anything awe inspiring, they are 1987 after all, but it was a big boost to the 1987 Topps set.  Then as I was checking out, he had a small box of 1954 Bowman at the register.  I thumbed through those and found a White Sox card and grabbed it.  You’ll see that later.

Then on Saturday, I drove down to see my cousin (Sluggo) who lives in the Asheville, North Carolina area who, as you know, I have traded with so he’s a collector as well.  Although he has a relatively small collection for himself but he buys and sells at card shows which they have in his area every other weekend.  The weekend I went down was the off weekend from the card show but he was going to take me a few places.

First we headed off to South Carolina to a flea market where a friend of his sells.  We spent a couple of hours there and I got some great stuff.  He had boxes and boxes of stuff.  First I went through a rookie box at 5/$1 and found a few cards.  Then I went through relics & auto’s box and pulled multiple Paul Konerko autographs.  I knew I probably didn’t want to spend all my money on those but I set them aside just in case.  Then I asked him about vintage.  He had 5 boxes of vintage and I mean 1950’s and 1960’s vintage.  I went through those and ended up with a huge stack of cards.  First, I put back the Konerko auto’s.  Then I pulled out my phone and pulled up my want lists (got to love the Google Drive app) and started going through them.  I had so many cards that I was really hoping I had a lot of them already.  After getting through all of them, I still had a pretty good stack but I said screw it and bought the rest of them.

After there, we headed home but took an alternate route to go through Hendersonville and stop at a card shop out in the middle of nowhere.  A funny old man owned it and we spent a couple of hours there.  I mainly browsed his 5/$1 books.  I picked up a pretty healthy stack there, it was mainly 1990’s to newer stuff.  Then I went to get my phone out to check my want lists, and no reception.  I think he planned it that way just so I’d have to buy them all.  Well, it worked because I did.  I also picked up 3 relic cards at $2/each.

Then we headed back to his house and he had a few cards for me as well.  It was really a great day, I really enjoyed hanging out with people and talking about cards all day.  I wish there were decent shops around here that I could do that or at least a show once in awhile.  All in all, I spent a little over $100, which for me, is a lot.

Now your asking why I didn’t show any of these single card purchases.  Because I plan on showing them in the coming week so you’ll have to wait.  I’ll go ahead and post this today, even though I already posted once (I like to keep it to once a day) so I can start showing all the great stuff starting tomorrow.  Make sure you come back.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a nice score to me. Looking forward to seeing them.

    ReplyDelete

Sorry about the word verification, but blogger sucks at filtering out the comments as of late. As bad as their last update is.