Welcome

This blog is about sports cards. I tend to only purchase cheap items so don't come hear expecting to see big money cards. My teams collections are Chicago White Sox and Michigan Wolverines. I also have a bunch of player collections.

Saturday, December 7, 2019

Scary Moment

Had a scary moment this morning. I was putting away the cards my cousin sent me and as I was flipping through my Carlton Fisk cards (in binders) to get to the last page, when I noticed something. What it looked like was the page had melted around the card, like when you put the blow dryer on plastic to make the plastic seal around the item. I tried pulling out the cards and they were stuck. I got out which ones I could, then started checking other pages. All in all, it effected 3 or 4 pages. I had to throw out 16 cards in all but what I can't figure out is, there was what looked to be mold on a couple of the cards. A few pages in the middle of a book with 40-50 pages in it got wet, sitting on a desk in my finished basement. There is absolutely no water anywhere around my card books, no wet spots on the ceiling, nothing on the walls, no water anywhere.

I ended up searching all my books, page by page and I only found one more instance of the page looking the same but not nearly as bad and I didn't lose any of the cards. This book was all the way on the other side of my desk, nowhere near the first book.

What scared me at first is I didn't know how many cards, or if all my books were effected. Also, the first card I noticed that was definitely damaged was this,


My first thought was crap, one of the high dollar cards from the 1973 set, a Fisk rookie. Since then I have learned that it can be had for a few bucks and that it's technically not the rookie but I didn't know that at the time and I was annoyed. I sat down at my laptop and was logging off the cards that I was throwing out and this card was 1 of 2 (the other was behind this one) that I couldn't even get out of the page. So I went to look at the 1973's and it showed I didn't even have this card. After I looked a little further, it was actually this card.


So I panicked for nothing, for one, it wasn't as much of a high dollar card (although a few dollars is for me) and it wasn't even the card that I thought it might be. All the cards I lost are fairly easily replaceable so not a big deal now but it is still a mystery to how it all happened.

4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Shouldn't be, it's usually colder in the basement because the thermostat is in the kitchen on the main level.

      Delete
  2. Glad it wasn't a REAL Fisk second-year car that was damaged. Hate when strange things like that happen to cards.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope you solve this mystery. I'd be going nuts if I discovered this issue. Glad the damage was pretty limited though. It could have been much worse.

    ReplyDelete

Sorry about the word verification, but blogger sucks at filtering out the comments as of late. As bad as their last update is.