Welcome

This blog is about sports cards. I tend to only purchase cheap items so don't come hear expecting to see big money cards. My teams collections are Chicago White Sox and Michigan Wolverines. I also have a bunch of player collections.

Tuesday, September 6, 2022

Underestimating PK

So I've brought over all of my cousin's common cards and am in the process of putting them all into team order so I can make team bags for the kids at the shows we do. Specifically the Plymouth show as there are a ton of kids there. The problem is, when I was a kid, I collected one of everything and now that I'm going through all these cards, I want to keep one of everything. I'm probably going through more than 50,000 cards and I'm not exaggerating. I know there is 3 5,000 count boxes and 5 3,200 count boxes and then 6 milk crate boxes which I estimate at probably around 6,000 to 7,000 cards each (maybe more). It's a huge task but I do love to sort so it's a labor of love, but man do I want to keep 1 of everything. My collection would be huge but I can't start down that path. We've all been there and know what will happen. Other than my wife would kill me. 

Today's post is one I love to add too as he is my favorite player. It takes more than just being a good player for me to really like you. He turned down extra money to play in his hometown to stay in Chicago and he was here for almost his whole career but once he was here, he didn't want to leave. He was a good guy off the field and what I really liked is people underestimated how good he was. He was a quiet leader that would beat you more times than not. I can't tell you how many times I was saying you better walk him to get to the next batter and almost every time, they would pitch to him. More times than not, he made them pay for that underestimation.

See, I told you he didn't always play for the Sox.

The Topps portion of the White Sox cards. The 2002 Topps is a limited editon and the t206 is an Old Mill back.

The Upper Deck portion. The 2004 on the top right is a high glossy set, I didn't even know that existed. The green one on the bottom is a Holiday Inn set and finally a 1989 UD look-a-like Authentics.

Last but not least, I lumped all the shiny cards in one scan. The 2 Prizms are both color parallels and a Finest at the bottom.

The above 18 cards came from the last shipment from Sportlots and bumps the Konerko collection to 735 cards, that's according to TCDB where I'm in 1st place by over 300 cards.


I also picked up this pocket schedule with PK on it at the Stanton Man Cave when Sluggo and I went up there to check it out. We were buying for him but I looked through some oddball stuff and found a few Sox pocket schedules for a quarter a piece. This one is the year after our last World Series victory.

1 comment:

  1. It's nice to know that someone enjoys it, because that kind of sorting isn't for me; at least not anymore.

    ReplyDelete

Sorry about the word verification, but blogger sucks at filtering out the comments as of late. As bad as their last update is.