Welcome

This blog is about sports cards. I tend to only purchase cheap items so don't come hear expecting to see big money cards. My teams collections are Chicago White Sox and Michigan Wolverines. I also have a bunch of player collections.

Friday, September 23, 2022

Wordy post with a couple cards

I went over to to Sluggo's today after work to help price cards. We have a show at a first time venue tomorrow in South Bend. We've set up with the couple who are running it and we got a bunch of the dealers that we set up with at other shows to set up there so I think it will be a fun show as far as the dealers go. We will see how well the turnout is though. I think the Mishawaka show is done now. The guy that runs it, who is a great guy, but he doesn't have the patience to start a show and run it until it gets good. He started it and every one he has, he expects it to be like the National. We have given some advice but he doesn't seem to listen to any of the dealers. There was supposed to be a show last weekend and most of the dealers quit on him and he didn't have enough. So I'm hoping the customers that usually came to that show will come out to the South Bend show.

My cousin is quitting his job at the end of the month and is going to do cards full time so we are going to start doing more shows, probably travel a little bit to do some. Right now we have the next 3 Saturdays schedule and then 2 weeks off and then a couple more. We may fill up those 2 as well but we'll see. I'm looking at it like a part time job since we are down to 40 hour weeks, it'll supplement the OT that I usually get. I'm excited for him and even a little scared. He's braver than I am, I don't have the balls to quit a guaranteed paycheck and survive on week to week income that could change.

Anyways, today's post is about a guy who's about to come off the IL but you might as well let him take the rest of the year off. Although not mathmatically eliminated yet, the Sox are pretty much eliminated after getting swept by Cleveland. Than in a month or so, the worst part about loving a team starts. The offseason. Not because they don't play but I worry all winter long if some of my favorite players will end up on other teams before next season.


Fred brought me this Big League insert to me at work. I'm always amazed at how many cards he gives me that I don't already have. He doesn't have any lists or use TCDB, he just brings what he finds and more than not, I don't have it.


I also grabbed this card from Sluggo, it's the black & white parallel but it's also numbered to /50. It's my lowest serial numbered card of TA7. I do have a card that says it has a print run of 50 but it's not numbered.

These 2 cards give me 154 of him. That puts me in 5th place of his cards on TCDB but I'm still 81 cards out of 1st. I do have a box coming from Sportlots but I know there won't be that many cards of him in there. I'm buying a little different now so I spread out the players instead of so many at one time of one player.

3 comments:

  1. That promoter definitely sounds like he's in the wrong line of work, and probably was in it for the wrong reasons too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's definitely in it for the money. He's only been doing cards for a little over a year.

      Delete
  2. Being a dealer turned out to be much tougher than I ever thought. Pretty sure I set up for the final time in August. If my buddy continues to give me space at his table, I'll probably just take dime, quarter, and dollar boxes. I feel like those are much easier to manage.

    Best of luck to your cousin. My buddy does it for a living too. He's also dabbled in show promotions. Not jealous of the long weekends at card shows, but I wish I could sleep in on Monday through Friday. Speaking of which... I'm late. Gotta get ready for work.

    ReplyDelete

Sorry about the word verification, but blogger sucks at filtering out the comments as of late. As bad as their last update is.