Welcome

This blog is about sports cards. I tend to only purchase cheap items so don't come hear expecting to see big money cards. My teams collections are Chicago White Sox and Michigan Wolverines. I also have a bunch of player collections.

Friday, July 8, 2011

All-stars

495000

Congrats to Paul Konerko and Carlos Quentin on making the all-star game. Not that Carlos doesn’t deserve it, but Konerko should have been selected in the fan voting. I absolutely hate the fact that fans vote, because let’s face it, it turns it into a popularity contest. I want to see the best of the best. Not half Red Sox, half Yankees. No disrespect to those teams, I realize that they probably have the biggest fan base compared to most teams. But that doesn’t mean everyone wants to see them. And while Derek Jeter is a huge name in our beloved sport, he doesn’t deserve an all-star start. Especially when he was out a bit for injury. The fact that the all-star voting starts the 2nd or 3rd week of the season tells you they don’t care if the best get there. I would rather see the managers and maybe the media vote for the starters and have the fans vote for the bench players. Or I would even go for the only fan vote be the final 2 all-stars like they have now. If they are going to make the game count, then fan voting should not be allowed to have such an influence.

63078047

Once again, and for the 3rd time, a White Sox player has made it in on the final fan vote for the last spot. The White Sox do a very good job of getting the word out for the players. They do all kinds of media blitz’s. This year included. They launched a whole campaign “Paul Star” to get Konerko in. He didn’t get in on the original vote and had to rely on the final vote, which I just don’t understand. He’s in the top 5 of all these offensive categories (HR, RBI, Slugging %, Avg,) Now I do understand him not getting the start, on the case of Adrian Gonzalez deserves it just as much and maybe even more than Konerko. But how can the manager’s not want his bat come off the bench. I wasn’t shocked to see him not get the start, but I really thought he would have been selected as a reserve. My question to all you Dodgers fans is, were they asking you to vote for Konerko? Because part of the “Paul Star” campaign was to vote for Andre Ethier. The reasoning, according to the campaign was to send both of them home, because the all-star game is in Arizona this year. I know Konerko is from there, I assume Ethier is as well. I have a feeling this has more to do with the fact that the Dodgers and White Sox share a spring training facility. But either way, it doesn’t matter. I was just curious if the Dodgers were returning the favor.

I would have liked to seen Phil Humber to get into the all-star game too, but that didn’t happen either. I’ll still watch, I always do. I for one, love to watch the all-star game. Mainly because I love baseball, but also for the chance to see some players I don’t always get a chance to see. For the most part, the National League players. I don’t watch too much of the NL. I didn’t really know how good Adrian Gonzalez was until the trade rumors surfaced between him and the Sox a few years ago.

In card news, when I get around to scanning, I have another trade post and I actually bought some packs (haven’t in awhile). I bought one of the highly rated by you guys, value box from Walmart. While it didn’t impress me a whole lot, I did enjoy some of the cards. So, like I said, when I get around to scanning, I will get them out as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sorry about the word verification, but blogger sucks at filtering out the comments as of late. As bad as their last update is.