Welcome

This blog is about sports cards. I tend to only purchase cheap items so don't come hear expecting to see big money cards. My teams collections are Chicago White Sox and Michigan Wolverines. I also have a bunch of player collections.

Sunday, November 15, 2020

Real Vintage

Since I finally have a day off work, I can hit another post, back to back. Covid is running rampant at work so those of us that are still there are turning in lots of hours to cover all those missing and since I'm one of those, for now, I've been working 6 days at 10 hours a day. I'm fat and old so those hours wear my ass down so those people need to start coming back. My department has had 3 positives in the last week so I'm guessing it may be a limited amount of time before I get it. Especially since my department likes to use my office for their breaks because they shut down the breakroom (and I have a fridge and microwave.) I take what precautions I can and for the most part, I work by myself, nowhere around anyone but since my department has been hit, including my boss, it seems to getting closer and closer.

I just left Sportlots where I made this weeks purchases, and bought some 2018 White Sox stuff and continued going through my Tier 1 players. The player I'm on has a ton of cards and I only got through 2002 because there were so many sets that year. So next week, I'll hit the rest of 2018, continue with the player I'm on, (hopefully get more than 1 year this time) and since I've got overtime coming in, I may try to get some stuff to complete my next set in the vintage collection.

I mean, who need Christmas presents from me when I can buy cards for myself.

Today, you get more White Sox stuff but it's vintage so it may actually interest more of you. I named the post Real Vintage because I always get comments when I label my early to mid 80's as Vintage but I'm not saying they are vintage but rather, they are a part of my Vintage Collection.


We'll start off with some 1970's. The 1971 Topps of Tom Egan (2 cards) leaves me with only 8 more for that team set which I think is pretty good since there are 32 cards in the set and it is 49 years old. This card goes to my Vintage collection as well. 

The Pat Kelly (9 cards) is from the 1974 Kellogg's set. It's actually my first of that team set of 4 so I got more that I need to pick up.


These 3 cards are all from the 1960's and belong in the Vintage collection as well as the White Sox collection.

The 1968 on the right with Jerry McNertney (2 cards) gives me 15 cards for that team set, which puts me right at half. You have to love that the vintage cards had more players featured than most sets these days. These days they'll have the same amount of cards as the past but there will be a few cards of vintage players, more than a few alternate versions, and blah blah blah.

The 1965 card at the bottom with Bruce Howard (2 cards) and Marve Staehle (2 cards) gives me 13 for that team set but again, that's under half. It's my 2nd card of both players but both only have 20 and 23 total on TCDB. I wonder if these guys played today and had the same success, how many cards they would have, probably 500 or so. 400 of those would be Bowman for the last few years before they even made the majors.

The 1964 of Fritz Ackley (1st card) and Don Buford (3 cards) gives me 11 cards for that team set but that's not even half of the team so still aways to go. As I stated, it's the first card of Ackley but according to TCDB, he only has 9 and 4 of those are reprints. I would like to have his 1965, but that's because he shares it with a rookie lefty, Steve Carlton.


This card of Nellie Fox is from 1961 Post cereal. It's only my 2nd card from that team set and there is a ton of them. I didn't realize how big these Post sets used to be. I remember the ones from the 80's and 90's that generally had 1 player per team. This is my 12th card of Fox but only my 4th from his playing days.


I also got this 1969 Fleer Cloth patch. It would have been cool if it still had the top part but it's still a pretty awesome card/patch/whatever. I'm a fan of the Sticker sets that Fleer put in their 80's sets so it's even better to get a true vintage one.

Last but definitely not least, I also was sent this Connie Johnson from 1956. This is only my 1st card of Johnson but he only has 16. This is also only my 2nd of the 1956 team set but I only have 5 for the whole set so I can't complain.

All of these cards came in that huge package from Jeff at 2x3 Heroes. I told you he sent me some awesome stuff. There's a lot more to come.

2 comments:

  1. Man, I'm lucky to have a job I can do with home. Hope you're able to avoid catching it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man... Covid running rampant does not sound good. Sounds like you deserve hazard pay. Hope you're able to stay healthy.

    P.S. Love the Fleer Cloth Patches. I've been trying to gather (although not very actively) all of the different teams and variations for several years now.

    ReplyDelete

Sorry about the word verification, but blogger sucks at filtering out the comments as of late. As bad as their last update is.