Welcome

This blog is about sports cards. I tend to only purchase cheap items so don't come hear expecting to see big money cards. My teams collections are Chicago White Sox and Michigan Wolverines. I also have a bunch of player collections.

Tuesday, January 4, 2022

Back in the day

So after our loss on Friday night, I have to rely on basketball to get my Michigan fix. Luckily, basketball is on tonight. Both men and women's so I'll have a couple of games to watch. It's a rarity to be able to watch the women's team as they don't put them on TV too often but they are pretty good this year and I believe, ranked in the top 10. We won't talk about the men's team.

Today's post is one of my more popular collections as in not too many people care for my White Sox or Michigan and that's what the majority of my collections are. But not today, today is Vintage!

All these came from baseballcardstore.ca. I had some money left over from a card show and figured I'd make a purchase there. Their cards are now a nickel which was great, but that's because they raised their shipping rates so after all was said and done, they all ended up costing me a dime a piece anyways. I checked some of the sets that I was close to finishing just to see what I needed. The 1981 Fleer set is now 78.9% completed. The 1982 Donruss set is now 80% complete. The 1986 Donruss set is now 91.5% complete, I only need 56 more. The 1987 Donruss set is now 75.9% complete.

All but the last card, were extra from Sportlots. As in, I picked them up from sellers that I was already buying cards from so I added these while I was still in the shipping range I was in.

These 2 only give me 77 cards from the 1983 Donruss set.

You already know where this set is from the top cards.

These 2 from 1978 Topps give me 184 cards.

These 4 from the 1977 Topps set give me 261 cards.

This 1974 Topps puts me at 311 cards.

This 1971 Topps give me 118 cards.

This 1963 Topps gives me 15 cards.



I picked these up from the same seller. When I saw a bunch of 1960 Topps for $.30/each I jumped on them.  They were listed as the same grade as most of the other cards above but as you can tell, they are a little more worse for the wear. I'll keep them and if I ever get close to completing it (probably never), I'll upgrade some of them. These 22 cards give me 70 cards from this set.

This 1959 Topps didn't come from Sportslots though, it came from Dennis at Too Many Verlanders. He sent me a huge Christmas package and while this is technically a White Sox collection card, I had to show it on the vintage post too because it's a true vintage card.

Back to the Sportslots cards, I picked up this 1958 Topps, it's my 22nd card from that set.


Lastly, I picked up this 1955 Bowman. It's only my 5th card from that set so I have a long ways to go.

Even though I've been buying a ton of player collection on Sportslots, I've been picking off quite a bit of Vintage as well. One of my fears of searching player collections is that it will leave my other ones bare but I've been picking up vintage here and there and my team collections I've been grabbing at shows so it's worked out.

3 comments:

  1. I'm down to needing only 30 cards for my 1986 Donruss set. Might have to see if baseballcardstore.ca can help me out too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. By the way... I haven't forgotten about looking for those Letter Patches. Just need to get through this week and I'll look to see if I have any this weekend.

      Delete
  2. I don't actively collect pre-1969 cards but I do have the same 1958 Dutch Dotterer card and it's in remarkably similar condition to your copy. I do love the team nickname listed as "Redlegs".

    ReplyDelete

Sorry about the word verification, but blogger sucks at filtering out the comments as of late. As bad as their last update is.