Welcome

This blog is about sports cards. I tend to only purchase cheap items so don't come hear expecting to see big money cards. My teams collections are Chicago White Sox and Michigan Wolverines. I also have a bunch of player collections.

Monday, December 28, 2020

Terrific Monday

3 posts left and 4 evenings left. Perfect. I'll start off the new year with the cards I got in the mail today from Sportlots. It was a pretty huge package because I forgot to ship last month. Funny enough though, I opened the package, cleaned out the packing peanuts and grabbed one of the top packages. Flipped it over to cut the tape and who is looking back at me?


RIP Phil! It's been a hard year on former MLB players, even MLB HOF'ers have left at a lot quicker pace than I ever remember. I don't know if I'm just getting older so I'm noticing it more as some of these players I collected as a kid or if it's just a lot for the year.

Oddly enough, today's random was one of those players we've lost this year. I mentioned the other day when I did the Mark Buehrle post that MB was one of my favorite pitchers, this guy would be my favorite of all time.


These 5 cards came from Sportlots. I have to remember not to scan them this way, I can't get the photos any bigger. The first card also goes to the Johnny Bench and the Vintage collection. I was surprised I didn't have the 1983 Donruss which also goes to the Vintage collection. The middle cards are 1983 O-Pee-Chee and 1984 Topps Traded and the last card is one of the many small Fleer sets in the 80's. The 2 Sox cards also go to the White Sox collection.





These 5 all came from, you guessed it, Jeff at 2x3 Heroes. I like the look of the Warrior on the Diamond. Of course, a few vintage look a likes (Phil Niekro makes another appearance on the 1970 reprint) and I'm not sure which set the last card is supposed to be a replica of. I suppose I could Google it but I'm lazy and don't really need to know. Obviously it's the 1969 set but I don't know if they just made it for the Heritage set or if it's a replica of a subset in '69.

The 10 Tom Terrific cards on this page get my Seaver collection up to 398 cards but don't worry, it'll get over 400 once I get the new Sportlots package logged and scanned.

2 comments:

  1. The last card is based on stickers which were inserts in 1969. Seaver has one in the original set, but with a different picture (the picture from his standard 1969 card). https://images.app.goo.gl/Tior5zxd8qaPtDrx7 Gotta get that Upper Deck Vintage card--nice look at Seaver when he returned to the Mets in the '80s.

    7 Hall of Famers died this year...it's not you, that's a really high number. The most ever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just read about 2020 having the most hall of fame members deaths. Very sad.

      Delete

Sorry about the word verification, but blogger sucks at filtering out the comments as of late. As bad as their last update is.