Welcome

This blog is about sports cards. I tend to only purchase cheap items so don't come hear expecting to see big money cards. My teams collections are Chicago White Sox and Michigan Wolverines. I also have a bunch of player collections.

Thursday, January 2, 2020

2019 in review

I did one of these posts last year so why not this year as well. As you know, I went to Florida last week and to break up the drive home, we stopped overnight at my cousin's house and he gifted me with some Vintage cards he didn't need so I have to get those logged before I can show them and I believe my first Sportslots shipment is due to be delivered today so I should have some cards to show for the month, just not quite yet.


Here's what I've watched for the last 6 years. I watched way more baseball, almost 30 games more. That's because the White Sox were more exciting to watch and also with Michigan making the College World Series, they broadcasted a lot more of their games. I watch them any time the Big Ten network broadcasts them, they just don't get put on that often.

Basketball's about the same because I pretty much only watch Michigan, men and women's. I don't watch pros anymore, just can't get into it.

Football is pretty much Michigan games and that's it. Same thing as basketball, just can't get into pro often.

I record all the Michigan hockey games when they are on, but I really can't stand watching hockey on TV so unless my DVR ends up empty, I usually end up deleting them. I'll get at least one hockey game this year as I already have tickets when Michigan is here in South Bend to play Notre Dame in a couple of weeks.

Softball is like Michigan baseball, I watch whatever games the Big Ten network decides to broadcast.


As far as the cards go, I did a lot better with Konerko and Seaver's collections but not much go at anything else. I've already corrected some of these with my first Sportlots purchase so some of these will get better.


I've gotten a lot more Tier 2 collections as I start a new player collection every time a Michigan player gets drafted. I'm not going to go through every player, the Barry Larkin collection had the largest add, that's usually because I get some from Dennis and then the Shoeless Joe Jackson had a big bump because of the cards I've shown the last few weeks from Sluggo.


No zero's on my tier 3 collections this year so that's a plus. The Ripken collection always gets a big bump because Dennis sends me a ton.


I did a little better on my Vintage collection last year. I haven't really been searching them out so I bet a lot of those were player collections or White Sox cards from the 80's. I did a lot better at getting White Sox cards but I'm guessing that will slow down as Sportslots search system sucks, I'd have to search out every card on it's own which probably won't happen. I'll have to figure something out there. The baseball collection are just baseball cards that don't fit within the parameters of my other collections. It's basically a reason for me to buy packs.


My totals definitely went up this year, which is surprising just how much it went up considering the next stat. 2019 was my highest year since I started keeping track and it's over double last year.


When I figured this out a few nights ago, it was exactly a penny difference between the 2 years. Not by design either, I don't have a budget, I just buy what I find. I try not to spend a ton, these numbers are actually way higher than I would expect or probably should spend but my life gets pretty boring, I need the thrill of opening packages throughout the week. Back to what I was saying though, they were a penny difference then I spent a couple of bucks at sportslots that put last year a little higher.


As far as this blog goes, I did a lot better this year then last year. As a matter of fact, it was the highest post total in 7 years and the 3rd highest total in the history of this blog. I did a lot better at posting cards as soon as I got them which helped me stay consistent. We'll see if that stays since I won't be getting cards throughout the week anymore and I'll actually have to remember to post what I've gotten. Since my Sportslots packages all come in one, I think I'll probably post a player a day or something. I haven't really decided for sure what I'm doing yet. I also have to calculate the shipping into all the cards which will take me a little longer.

So apparently what the new year is bringing me is more work, all because Ebay sucks. It'll be better for the player collections but not the team collections. We'll see how well it goes. Here's to new changes in the new year.

2 comments:

  1. eBay is making a huge impact on my collection as well. Ever since I've had to start pay 9% extra in taxes... I'm much more selective in which auctions I bid on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love seeing these kind of collecting breakdowns, but I sure wouldn't want to have to do them for myself :)

    ReplyDelete

Sorry about the word verification, but blogger sucks at filtering out the comments as of late. As bad as their last update is.