Welcome

This blog is about sports cards. I tend to only purchase cheap items so don't come hear expecting to see big money cards. My teams collections are Chicago White Sox and Michigan Wolverines. I also have a bunch of player collections.

Saturday, April 24, 2021

A to Z Music Challenge

 An A-to-Z Music challenge was thrown out by Chris from the Collector. I'm pretty into music so I figured why not.

My music background is I listen to a lot of it. I have a playlist, currently with 4,524 tracks on it that I listen to most of the time, if not at work. It has a ton of different music, classical to rap, 50's to rock, christian to hip hop. It even has TV/Movies themes as well as a bunch of songs on the piano.

I do add to the playlist all the time. Monday's I go through Discover Weekly playlist on Spotify and on Friday's, I go through New Releases. When I'm working on my cards, sometimes I will random an artist list and listen to their top songs that I don't already have to see if I like anything else.

I don't claim to be knowledgeable of music, I just like what I like. My top 2 genres are Rock and Country. 

I actually have a music blog where I post the last song that I listen to that day. Nothing special, just an album cover, a YouTube video and the lyrics (Random Music) and you all know I love my stats so you can follow what I listen to on Last.FM.

I went ahead and picked a favorite as well as some honorable mentions when I had a couple of favorites.


# - 2Pac

There wasn't a ton to choose from. I don't really listen to a ton of 2Pac but he has a few songs that I like. Brings back memories of hanging out in my brothers car because he listened to gangster rap back in the day. Honorable mention - 38 Special

A - Avenged Sevenfold

I've always had a few of their songs on my playlist but I've added quite a bit more in the last year or so. Honorable mentions - Adele, Amy Grant

B - Blake Shelton

This one was really hard because there were quite a few that I liked for different reasons. I went ahead and picked Blake because I have more songs of his than the others. Billy Squier was the first album I purchased and I loved Boyz II Men back in the day. Honorable mentions - Billy Squier, Billy Joel, Boyz II Men, Breaking Benjamin

C - Chris Stapleton

I love his sound. Tennessee Whiskey is my favorite of the many that I like. I also really like his cover of Joy of my Life. Honorable mentions - the Choir, Colbie Caillat, Craig Morgan

D - DC Talk

This was pretty easy, I pretty much have every song from every album of theirs on my playlist. The only "new" christian artist I listen to is TobyMac, who was in DC Talk. I've seen them in concert a bunch of times.

E - Eagles

This was a toss up, I love the Eagles and have for a long time but I there are times when I just love to crank up some Eminem as well. Honorable mention - Eminem

F - Foo Fighters

I went with Foo Fighters because they have a bunch of songs that I really like but like the E's, I love to jam out to some Five Finger Death Punch as well. Honorable mentions - Five Finger Death Punch, Fleetwood Mac, Foreigner, 

G - Genesis

I'm going to throw Phil Collins solo career in with Genesis as well. If you played a song by either, you wouldn't know if it was part of his solo career or with Genesis because he's the lead in both. Honorable mention - Geoff Moore & the Distance

H - Halestorm

This one was tough as well because I really like both of these artists but I've listened to Halestorm longer. Honorable mention - Hollywood Undead

I - Ingrid Michaelson

My wife introduced my to her and I like some of hers. My favorite is probably You and I. Honorable mention - Imagine Dragons

J - Journey

How can you not like Journey? Don't Stop Believin' was the White Sox theme song during their 2005 World Series Championship run and they play it at every Michigan game, I assume because of the South Detroit line at the beginning. 

K - Keith Urban

Like all of the K artists listed here, Keith has a couple of really good songs and a lot of good songs. Honorable mentions - Kelly Clarkson, Korn

L - Lee Brice

I've gotten into Lee Brice the last couple of years. Really love the song Sirens. Honorable mention - Linkin Park

M - Michael Jackson

This was a tough one as well but I went with the King of Pop because his music was a big part of growing up. Honorable mentions - Matchbox Twenty, Michael W. Smith, Mylon & the Broken Heart

N - Neil Diamond

Neil Diamond reminds me of being at my grandparents house. They played his CD all the time. Honorable mention - Nickelback

O - OneRepublic

I don't think I realized just how many of their songs I really liked until I was compiling this list.

P - Prince

Prince was like MJ, big part of growing up. I remember hanging out with my cousins and listening to the 1999 cassette. Honorable mentions - Papa Roach, Petra, P!nk, Pop Evil

Q - Queen

Lots of great songs here. I think Crazy Thing Called Love might be my fave but Fat Bottomed Girls is up there, as well as the Highlander theme Princes of the Universe.

R - Russ Taff

He was my favorite Christian artist back when I listened to strictly Christian music. I've seen him in concert a few times as well. Honorable mention - REO Speedwagon

S - Skillet

I'm going with Skillet on this one. I didn't realize they were a Christian band until I really started listening to them. I originally heard them on the local rock station. It was tough to pick them over Styx though because they sing my favorite song of all time, Renegade. Honorable mentions - Saliva, Seether, Shinedown, Styx

T - Taylor Swift

I didn't really think she would be #1 but she just has a ton of really good songs. I like almost all of her country stuff, her hip hop stuff now a days is hit or miss, I either really like it or don't. Honorable mention - Theory of a Deadman

U - U2

There wasn't much to choose from, not that I don't like them as I have a bunch of their songs. My favorite song of theirs is Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me from Batman Forever.

V - Van Halen

A guy where I worked when I was just out of high school, gave me a 120 minute cassette tape of all Van Halen songs. I listened to it all the time, for a long time. Ice Cream Man is my fave.

W - Whiteheart

One of my favorite christian artists. I've seen them a couple of times in concert. They're one of those artists where each album they released was better than the last.

X - I have no artist that starts with a X.

Y - You + Me

I only had 6 artists that start with Y and they all have 1 song but 1 and he has 2, so I took the song that I liked the most out of those 6. The song is Capsized

Z - Zac Brown Band

It was between them and ZZ Top and I like a lot more songs from ZBB than ZZ so I went with them. Honorable mention - ZZ Top


That took a lot longer than I expected but it was fun.

9 comments:

  1. I never thought I'd see Eminem on a list with a bunch of Christian singers.

    About a half dozen of these will be my picks as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was really into Christian music in the early 90's. Now it's more nostalgia than anything.

      Delete
  2. Although you have more country on your list... you and I have a lot of other artists in common. I actually like a lot of the pop country from the past 15 years or so, but not enough to crack my list. I'm surprised I haven't seen Journey on more lists. If I created a Top 10 favorite bands of all-time, they'd definitely make the list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hadn't even given though to DC Talk in almost 30 years... but my college girl friend was a huge fan of theres. I think we might have even seen them perform.

      Delete
    2. I actually didn't listen to Country up until about 10 years ago and my wife got me into it. It's her favorite genre.

      Delete
  3. It's interesting that no one has done a list with more than a few country singers on it yet, unless I've missed something, You'd think there'd be more overlap.

    I didn't choose a numbered artist, but I guess I'd have to go with the "5" Royales, a great early rock/soul group. Also worth mentioning are 10CC, 20-20, and the 1910 Fruitgum Company.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a couple by 10CC on my playlist as well.

      Delete
  4. I'm a big fan of Avenged Sevenfold as well. They seem to be one of the few modern hard rock bands that actually make good hard rock, and don't often stray from what got them to where they are.

    Also, I'm not U2 fan in the least, but you mentioned the only song of theirs that I happen to like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had some of AS's more popular songs on my playlist and then their new album came out and I listened to it and added most of it so I went back to some of their older songs and realized just how much I like them.

      Delete

Sorry about the word verification, but blogger sucks at filtering out the comments as of late. As bad as their last update is.