Welcome

This blog is about sports cards. I tend to only purchase cheap items so don't come hear expecting to see big money cards. My teams collections are Chicago White Sox and Michigan Wolverines. I also have a bunch of player collections.

Wednesday, January 25, 2012

1981 Topps–Denny Walling #439, George Vukovich #598

I’m collecting the 1981 set, slowly but surely. This post is the latest in my quest for the completion.
81topps-dennywalling439
  • Card Facts – Denny Walling – Houston Astros – Card #439
  • Purchase Price – free (trade with “JABO’s”)
I remember the name with the team and the card itself.  Don’t remember him from any other sets but on the other hand, I want to say I know he played longer.  My memory is really good with some things, and all screwy about others.
81topps-georgevukovich598
    • Card Facts – George Vukovich – Philadelphia Phillies – Card #598
    • Purchase Price – free (trade with “Manupatches & Mustaches”)
I definitely remember this card.  I remember thinking a big Russian is playing in the states.  Back then, Russians were the enemies.  I don’t even know if Vukovich is a Russian name, but when I was 8, that’s what I thought.  Not a flattering photo at all.  It’s like the camera guy said, look at the camera and smile, then someone walked behind the camera guy with a hot dog and George followed the hot dog.  I can almost see drool on the corner of his mouth.
  • Cards posted in this set – 30
  • Total price paid – $1.74
  • Average price per card – $0.06
  • Cards left to post – 696
  • Percentage posted – 30/726 (4% posted)
  • Percentage completed – 426/726 (59% completed)
Two more free cards.  One from Kyle and I think this is the first trade card I have posted from Eric.  Both these guys helped with this set big time and it was greatly appreciated.

3 comments:

  1. I actually know Luis Leal better than the other two. Leal spent a handful of years on the Jays starting staff, and had somewhat of a Luis Tiant delivery (although not as extreme). I do remember the other two, but not as well (Milner only played a handful of games with the Jays, while Schrom only was in TO for 2 years before moving to Minny and Cleveland)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you have a 1981 Topps Dodgers team card for trade?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Robert - I think I remember Schrom from Cleveland, I'm picturing a headshot with a mustache. Possibly an '87 Topps, but who knows. Wouldn't be the first time I was wrong. Milner, I got nothing. I just recognized the name, I'm probably confusing him with someone else.

    Speigel - I will get back to you when I get a chance. I'm only home for a few minutes before I run my daughter to girl scouts. I will try to remember to look tonight and let you know.

    ReplyDelete

Sorry about the word verification, but blogger sucks at filtering out the comments as of late. As bad as their last update is.