I’m collecting the 1981 set, slowly but surely. This post is the latest in my quest for the completion.
- Card Facts – Ron Reed – Philadelphia Phillies – Card #376
- Purchase Price – $0.05 (part of a lot – 100/$4.99)
- On the back (toon, bottom left) – none
- On the back (toon, bottom right) – none
- Signed by the Braves as a amateur free agent in 1965.
- Debut – September 26, 1966
- 1966-1975 (Braves), 1975 (Cardinals), 1976-1983 (Phillies), 1984 (Braves)
- Born in LaPorte, IN
- Attended the University of Notre Dame
Made the All-Star game in 1968. Seems to have been a starter up until 1976. Even in a relief role in 1979, he accumulated a 13-8 record. Ended up with 103 saves in his career, 102 of those coming in his last 9 years.
- Cards I have posted in this set – 11
- Total price paid – $1.09
- Average price per card – $0.10
- Cards left to post – 715
He is one of only five pitchers in MLB history to have 100 wins, 100 saves and 50 complete games. The other four are Ellis Kinder, Firpo Marberry, Dennis Eckersley, and John Smoltz. Don’t know who the first 2 players are but definitely know the last 2. Those 2 alone puts Ron in impressive company.